Featured Recipe: First Street Checkerboard Corn Bake
October 28, 2020
The team at CHEF'STORE thanks Food Service Systems for their sponsorship and for sharing this delicious recipe with us.
Food Service Systems shares a casserole recipe that’s the perfect combination of savory and sweet. It will warm you from head to toe and is the perfect addition to your holiday table. First Street Whole Kernel Golden Corn and Super Sweet White Corn are at the heart of this recipe. Add some minced onion and a dash of hot sauce to bring the flavor to a whole new level. Topping the casserole is a combination of crunchy bread crumbs mixed with Swiss cheese that’s simply swoonworthy.
Want to take a little dive into the history of these eats? Corn pudding is believed to have its origins in Native American cooking. The corn’s natural starch thickened the pudding as it baked. Now there are many variations on this dish. This Checkerboard Corn Bake is a fresh take on this popular casserole, though it stays true to the beloved combination of sweet and savory. There’s a story you can share at the dinner table!
Checkerboard Corn Bake
Food Service Systems is known for the uncompromising quality of their products. You can shop for this recipe’s ingredients here!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1½ cups First Street Whole Kernel Golden Corn (SWS #78630)
1½ cups First Street Super Sweet White Corn (SWS #69668)
6 oz. First Street Evaporated Milk (SWS #17569)
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp First Street Minced Onion (SWS # 83686)
½ tsp First Street Kosher Salt (SWS #83659)
Dash, or to taste, First Street Hot Sauce (SWS #20998)
1 cup First Street Shredded Swiss Cheese (SWS# 31650)
1 slice white bread, crumbled
1 tbsp butter, melted
- Cook the following ingredients according to package directions: First Street Whole Kernel Golden Corn and First Street Super Sweet White Corn; drain well and mix together.
- Combine corn, First Street Evaporated Milk, beaten egg, First Street Minced Onion, First Street Kosher Salt, and First Street Hot Sauce.
- Pour mixture into a 9” x 9” baking dish that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss ½ cup of soft bread crumbs with 1 tbsp melted butter. Gently fold into the crumb mixture the First Street Shredded Swiss Cheese. Sprinkle cheese mixture over top of corn in baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the center of the casserole is set.
High-Quality Meats, Produce & Other Wholesale Groceries Delivered Right to Your Door
Why choose US Foods CHEF'STORE as your wholesale food store? Not only do we have an incredible selection of fresh meat, produce, and dairy products, you can shop online and have it all delivered to your doorstep.
In the rush of the holidays, we’ve all forgotten some items! Whether you’ve run out of tinfoil or forgot to buy the main course, we’ve got you covered. Our online grocery delivery via Instacart and Shipt allows you to take advantage of bulk food prices while avoiding multiple trips to the store.
Find your local CHEF'STORE. We’ve got you covered!